WELCOME TO THE BEEF PROJECT!
The Dodge County Meat Animal Sale Committee will not be conducting a beef weigh-in this project year. Like last year, beef will be identified through the tagging and DNA collection process. We ask for your prompt attention to all these details. Tags will be available for pick-up starting on Friday, January 26th.
Information about Beef ID Tags/DNA sampling:
1. Request your DNA Kit from the Wisconsin Livestock Identification Consortium (WLIC) immediately. Enclosed is the Dodge County Fair ID/DNA Request Form for your convenience. Alternatively, go to www.wiid.org/dna-program to download the request form. Follow instructions for submitting the request (you must submit the $10 fee for each DNA sample of beef you plan to identify for the fair). WLIC will send a report to the UW-Extension Office with the names of participants from our county.
*This is a family identification process, only one request form is required per family with all youth showman in that family identified.
2. Please call 920-386-3790 or email the UW-Extension Office Support Staff, Laure Dei at firstname.lastname@example.org to request the number of tags that you/your family need(s) for 2018. Give your family name along with each project exhibitor name. You will arrange for pick-up at the Extension office individually or by club/chapter. All tag requests and pick-up must be completed by Friday, February 9, 2018.
3. Submit your DNA samples to the WLIC by February 28, 2018. Make sure to follow all DNA collection instructions that you will receive along with your DNA sample kit. Deadline is February 28, 2018. WLIC will send a report to the UW-Extension Office with the exhibitor’s names and animal ID numbers of all DNA samples submitted for Dodge County.
*If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your Dodge Co. MAS Beef Representatives.
If an animal loses its tag, immediately contact one of your Dodge County Beef Representatives listed below for tag replacement.
- Andy Neff 920-382-5552 -Chair
- Mark Nehls 920-285-3566
- Mike Guenther 920-210-1938
For a better understanding of DNA collection on livestock and ‘how to’ instruction; please watch this video link from Animal ID and the WLIC.
If you have any questions, please call the Extension office or your MAS Beef Representatives.