Master Gardeners 2015 Meetings
The Dodge County Master Gardener Association does not have regularly scheduled meetings in November or December. However, there is a new slate of exciting meetings on tap for 2015. From tree care to heirloom tomatoes to landscaping with natives and everything in between! Included in 2015 will be an on-farm tour of Bryn Teg Farm, a Community Supported Agriculture Farm in Ashippun.
The meetings are held at the Administration Building in Juneau on the 4th Thursday of each month at 6:30 p.m. and are free and open to the public. Gardeners of all stages of expertise are invited! Come and bring a friend. See the 2015 Dodge County Master Gardener Association Monthly Educational Program Schedule.
The DCMGA completed the Educational Garden at the Administration Building, 127 E. Oak Street, Juneau on Saturday, June 7th. This year they planted a beautiful display of perennials along the sidewalk to enhance the west entrance of the building. This display complements the full garden they installed in 2013 on the east side of the building. Each of the plants in both gardens has a marker identifying it.
See Administration Building Gardens Plant Descriptions (PDF, 9 pages) for planting and growing instructions for gardeners who might want to incorporate any of these specimens in their home garden.
In addition, the DCMGA built and installed a “Little Free Library” in the east garden. This library is stocked with garden books for adults and children. It is situated conveniently near a bench where patrons can sit and read while enjoying the beauty of the gardens. People are encouraged to take a book, read it, and then return it.
Ask a Master Gardener Help Line
On June 5th DCMGA also opened the Ask a Master Gardener Help Line every Thursday afternoon from noon-4:00 p.m. in Room 1E of the Administration Building. This Help Line will continue until Thursday, September 4, 2014. Residents can call or bring in questions pertaining to plants, vegetables, fruits, insects, soil, flowers, turf, trees, and general gardening. If the hours do not fit your schedule, simply call 920-387-3790 and leave information or email firstname.lastname@example.org and a Master Gardener will respond in a timely manner.
- All-volunteer organization.
- An outreach arm of Dodge County UW-Extension (UWEX).
- MG’s are trained volunteers who aid UWEX by helping people in the community better understand horticulture and their environment.
- Membership is open to the public.
- The goal of the program is to train enthusiastic volunteers so they can, in turn, provide research-based information on a wide variety of horticultural topics to the general public in their communities.
- Training Requirements for Certified Master Gardener Volunteers (MGV):
- Complete a 36-hour horticultural educational training offered by UW-Extension.
- Fulfill volunteer hour commitment.
- As a Certified Master Gardener Volunteer.
- Become a “Friend of the Master Gardeners” for only $7/year. “Friends” can work alongside a Master Gardener, volunteer on projects and determine if they want to take MGVtraining.
- Attend Monthly Educational Meetings.
- Fourth Thursday of the month from January through October.
- Meetings begin at 6:30 pm and are typically held in the Auditorium Room of the Administration Building located at 127 E. Oak Street in Juneau. We do, on occasion, have a change of night or venue.
- The meetings are open to the public and free of charge.
Community Service and Outreach
- The Dodge County Master Gardeners provide approximately 1500 hours of education, community service and outreach annually.
- Their volunteer efforts directly and indirectly touch the lives of all Dodge County citizens as they work at nursing homes, historical societies, schools, parks, and youth programs.
- Late 1970’s – The MG program began in Wisconsin through UW-Extension.
- 1992 – Local MG groups formed the Wisconsin Master Gardener Association (WIMGA).
- 2004 – Local MGV’s organized the Dodge County Master Gardeners Association.
- Through this website:
- Contact Dodge County UWEX at 920-386-3793.
- Contact a Master Gardener Officer.
- Dodge County Master Gardener Association
- Wisconsin Master Gardener Association
- Dodge County Master Gardener By-Laws
- Wisconsin Master Gardener Brown Bag Series
- UWEX Horticulture website
- UW-Madison Plant Disease Diagnostics Clinic
- UW-Madison Insect Diagnostics Lab