Master Gardeners 2015 Meetings
The Dodge County Master Gardener Association meetings for 2015 are held at the Administration Building in Juneau on the 4th Thursday of each month at 6:30 p.m. and are free and open to the public. Gardeners of all stages of expertise are invited! Come and bring a friend.
Meetings in 2015 will range from tree care to heirloom tomatoes to landscaping with natives and everything in between! Included in 2015 will be an on-farm tour of Bryn Teg Farm, a Community Supported Agriculture Farm in Ashippun. See the 2015 Dodge County Master Gardener Association Monthly Educational Program Schedule.
Master Gardener 2015 Plant Sale
Save the Date!
The DCMGA will host their annual Plant Sale!
Dodge County Master Gardener Plant Sale
When: Saturday, May 16, 2015 8:00 – 11:00 a.m.
Where: Dodge County Administration Building
127 E Oak St., Juneau WI 53039
2015 Master Gardener Bus Tour
Saturday, June 27, 2015, join the DCMGA on a Day Trip to Green Bay Botanical Gardens in Green Bay and The Gardens of Kohler in Kohler, WI. Registration Deadline is June 10, 2015. 56 guests can be accommodated. Trip, Lunch & Tours cost $65. Print and return the 2015 Bus Trip Registration Form to reserve your seat soon. Please contact Al Krause with any questions, email@example.com. See the detailed descriptions of the trip for more information.
Dodge County Administrative Building Educational Gardens
The DCMGA Educational Garden is located at the Administration Building, 127 E Oak Street, Juneau, WI. This beautiful display along the sidewalk was planted to enhance the west entrance of the building. This display also complements the full garden they installed in 2013 on the east side of the building. Each of the plants in both gardens has a marker identifying it.
See Administration Building Gardens Plant Descriptions (PDF, 9 pages) for planting and growing instructions for gardeners who might want to incorporate any of these specimens in their home garden.
Dodge County Highway Department Building Educational Gardens
In June 2014 the Dodge County Master Gardener Association (DCMGA) designed and installed an educational garden at the Dodge County Highway Department Building, 211 East Center Street, Juneau. This garden is located on the south side of the building near the east entrance.
See Highway Department Building Landscaping for descriptions.
Little Free Library
The DCMGA supports a “Little Free Library” in the east garden. The library will be stocked with garden books for adults and children early spring through fall. It is near a bench where patrons can sit and read while enjoying the gardens. Please feel free to take a book, read it, and return it so we can keep the library going!
Ask a Master Gardener Help Line
DCMGA will open their Ask a Master Gardener Help Line this Spring beginning May 5 through September 3 every Tuesday morning and Thursday afternoon in Room 1E of the Administration Building. Residents can call or bring in questions pertaining to plants, vegetables, fruits, insects, soil, flowers, turf, trees, and general gardening. For more information please contact Dianne Priegel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet a Master Gardener
- All-volunteer organization.
- An outreach arm of Dodge County UW-Extension (UWEX).
- MG’s are trained volunteers who aid UWEX by helping people in the community better understand horticulture and their environment.
- Membership is open to the public.
- The goal of the program is to train enthusiastic volunteers so they can, in turn, provide research-based information on a wide variety of horticultural topics to the general public in their communities.
- Training Requirements for Certified Master Gardener Volunteers (MGV):
- Complete a 36-hour horticultural educational training offered by UW-Extension.
- Fulfill volunteer hour commitment.
- As a Certified Master Gardener Volunteer.
- Become a “Friend of the Master Gardeners” for only $7/year. “Friends” can work alongside a Master Gardener, volunteer on projects and determine if they want to take MGVtraining.
- Attend Monthly Educational Meetings.
- Fourth Thursday of the month from January through October.
- Meetings begin at 6:30 pm and are typically held in the Auditorium Room of the Administration Building located at 127 E. Oak Street in Juneau. We do, on occasion, have a change of night or venue.
- The meetings are open to the public and free of charge.
Community Service and Outreach
- The Dodge County Master Gardeners provide approximately 1500 hours of education, community service and outreach annually.
- Their volunteer efforts directly and indirectly touch the lives of all Dodge County citizens as they work at nursing homes, historical societies, schools, parks, and youth programs.
- Late 1970’s – The MG program began in Wisconsin through UW-Extension.
- 1992 – Local MG groups formed the Wisconsin Master Gardener Association (WIMGA).
- 2004 – Local MGV’s organized the Dodge County Master Gardeners Association.
- Through this website:
- Contact Dodge County UWEX at 920-386-3793.
- Contact a Master Gardener Officer.
- Dodge County Master Gardener Association
- Wisconsin Master Gardener Association
- Dodge County Master Gardener By-Laws
- Wisconsin Master Gardener Brown Bag Series
- UWEX Horticulture website
- UW-Madison Plant Disease Diagnostics Clinic
- UW-Madison Insect Diagnostics Lab