WELCOME TO THE SWINE PROJECT!
Swine Letter #1 outlines what a project member must do first.
1. Please call 920-386-3790 or email the UW-Extension Office Support Staff, at firstname.lastname@example.org by April 14, 2017 to request the number of tags that you/your family need(s) for 2017. Give your family name along with each project exhibitor name. We will package the tags for you with the “next step instructions” outlined later in this letter. You will arrange for pick-up at the Extension office individually or by club/chapter.
2. Request your DNA Kit from the Wisconsin Livestock Identification Consortium (WLIC) immediately. The Dodge County Fair ID/DNA Request Form has been linked here for your convenience. Or go to: www.wiid.org/dna-program to download the request form. Follow instructions for submitting the request (must submit $6 fee for each DNA sample of swine you plan to identify for the fair). They will send a report to the UW-Extension Office with the names of participants from our county.
For a better understanding of DNA collection on livestock and ‘how to’ instruction; please watch this video link from Animal ID and the WLIC.
Swine Letter #2 explains the next steps required in the hog ID process.
1. At home you will be required to apply two matching Dodge Co. ear tags. These are only Dodge Co. Identification tags and are not 840 or RFID tags. They will not identify your livestock at any other event such as the Wisconsin State Fair.
2. Take a very clear photo of the animal’s face with ears held out. Left and right ear tags clearly shown in one photo. The youth exhibitor does not need to be in the photo.
3. Take your DNA sample. Follow instructions on the DNA test kit from the WLIC. See video link above for correct collection of hair samples.
4. Complete the 2017 Market Swine Identification Form; this form is a fillable PDF. Save the form as instructed in letter #2.
5. Save your completed photos as instructed in letter #2.
6. Submit your Swine Identification Form and photos electronically to email@example.com at the Dodge Co. Extension office by the Friday, May 5, 2017 deadline.
7. Send in your correctly collected DNA sample envelopes and Documentation Form (yellow copy stays with Exhibitor) to the WLIC by Friday, May 5, 2017, following instructions in the kit that you received.
If you have any questions, please call the Extension office or your MAS Swine Representatives.