WELCOME TO THE BEEF PROJECT!
Beef Letter #1 outlines what a project member must do first.
1. Please call 920-386-3790 or email the UW-Extension Office Support Staff, at email@example.com by January 31, 2017 to request the number of tags that you/your family need(s) for 2017. Give your family name along with each project exhibitor name. We will package the tags for you with the “next step instructions” outlined later in this letter. You will arrange for pick-up at the Extension office individually or by club/chapter.
2. Request your DNA Kit from the Wisconsin Livestock Identification Consortium (WLIC) immediately. The Dodge County Fair ID/DNA Request Form has been linked here for your convenience. Or go to: www.wiid.org/dna-program to download the request form. Follow instructions for submitting the request (must submit $6 fee for each DNA sample of beef you plan to identify for the fair). They will send a report to the UW-Extension Office with the names of participants from our county.
For a better understanding of DNA collection on livestock and ‘how to’ instruction; please watch this video link from Animal ID and the WLIC.
Beef Letter #2 explains the next steps required in the beef ID process.
1. At home you will be required to apply two matching Dodge Co. ear tags. These are only Dodge Co. Identification tags and are not 840 or RFID tags. They will not identify your livestock at any other event such as the Wisconsin State Fair.
2. Take a very clear photo of the animal’s face with ears held out. The youth exhibitor does not need to be in the photo.
3. Take your DNA sample. Follow instructions on the DNA test kit from the WLIC. See video link above for correct collection of hair samples.
4. Complete the 2017 Market Beef Identification Form ; this form is a fillable PDF. Save the form as instructed in letter #2.
5. Save your completed photo as instructed in letter #2.
6. Submit your Beef Identification Form and photos electronically to the Dodge Co. Extension office by the February 28, 2017 deadline.
7. Send in your collected DNA samples to the WLIC by February 28, 2017, following instructions in the kit that you received.
If you have any questions, please call the Extension office or your MAS Beef Representatives.