Crops & Soils Agent Arrives – Loretta Ortiz-Ribbing

loretta_ortizribbing20picture (3)Let me introduce myself. I am Dr. Loretta Ortiz-Ribbing, the new UW-Extension Crops and Soils Area Agent with 50% responsibilities in each of Dodge and Fond du Lac Counties.   Both counties have such a rich agricultural history that will let me utilize my diverse background which includes a B.S. in agronomy (crop protection), an M.S. in forestry (soils), and a Ph.D. in crop sciences (plant pathology).

My long agricultural career has allowed me to gain experience working in academia, industry, government, and most importantly doing extension and outreach in Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, and now Wisconsin. My previous extension positions have had statewide, regional, or county responsibilities for agronomic and horticultural crop systems and vegetable pathology; mainly I assisted conventional, sustainable, and organic producers with Integrated Pest Management (IPM) and other production issues. I have worked closely with diverse stakeholders, Master Gardeners, and grower groups. In Indiana, my county was the number one dairy producing county in the state. More recently, as a retired Assistant Professor of Crop Science with the University of Wisconsin in River Falls, I taught students about Organic Production Systems, Sustainable Agriculture, Weed Control, and IPM. As a former Research Scientist with the Minnesota Department of Agriculture, I wrote Best Management Practices for pollinators and their habitat and also facilitated outreach for water quality and pesticide management statutes.

In addition to my extension, outreach, and teaching background, I have conducted applied research and published on topics such as IPM for crops, prophylactic insecticide and fungicide applications, bioherbicides for herbicide resistant weeds, cover crops, and biological interactions between plants and disease organisms in conventional, organic, and sustainable production systems.

I am eager to meet and work with folks in Dodge and Fond du Lac Counties. I want to learn and hear how I can best utilize my skills to assist with and find solutions for your production needs and challenges.

If you would like to contact Loretta Ortiz-Ribbing please call the Dodge County UW-Extension office at
920-386-3790.

Sharing is Caring - Click Below to Share