WELCOME TO THE SWINE PROJECT!
Information About Swine ID Tags/Photos/DNA Sampling:
- Please call 920-386-3790 or email the UW-Extension Office Support Staff, Laure Dei at email@example.com by Friday, April 14, 2017 to request the number of tags that you/your family need(s) for 2017. Give your family name along with each project exhibitor’s name. We will package the tags for you with the “next step instructions outlined later in this letter.” You will arrange for pick-up at the Extension office individually or by club/chapter.
- Request your DNA Kit from the Wisconsin Livestock Identification Consortium (WLIC) immediately. For your convenience the 2017 WLIC Dodge County Fair ID/DNA Request Form is enclosed. Or go to the Dodge County Extension website or to the WLIC website at www.wiid.org to download a request form. Follow instructions for submitting the request form. You must submit a $6 fee for each DNA sample of swine you plan to identify for the fair. They will send a report to the UW-Extension Office with the names of participants from Dodge County at the deadline date.
Forms and Tags.
- After you have picked up your requested Swine tags from the UW-Extension Office, please follow these steps. They are listed in Swine Letter #2 as well; which will accompany your tags.
- You then apply tags in the ear. Taggers can be checked out at the Extension office if needed.
- Document info for each hog (barrow, gilt, tag, notch, breed) to enter into the fillable 2017 Market Swine Information Form . Save form to your computer for submission to the office.
Photo of animal.
Take individual photos of each hog’s face with clear pictures of the left and right tagged ears in one photo (please be sure tags are readable in photo-if the tag is not readable, you will be asked to re-take pictures).
- The youth exhibitor does not need to be in photo.
Submission of information.
Send in your photos and the 2017 Market Swine Information Form (the fillable PDF that was saved) electronically to the Dodge Co. UW-Extension office by Friday, May 5, 2017, following the instructions you will receive with your tag order. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
DNA samples to the Wisconsin Livestock Identification Consortium
- Send in correctly collected DNA samples and WLIC Animal ID/DNA Sample Documentation Form to the WLIC by Friday, May 5, 2017 following instructions in the kit you received. Again, they will send Dodge County a final report with names of participants that have completed the DNA process by the deadline date.